Sunday, August 17, 2008

Omagh, ten years on.

I am 27 years old. I do not remember the worst of the Northern Ireland troubles. However I clearly remember the last and worst in a long litany of outrages. Ten years ago yesterday, the Omagh bomb killed 29 people including unborn twins. One of the reasons I remember it so well is because I have a set of Cousins from Omagh so that Saturday morning my family were frantically attempting to contact them to make sure they were all safe. Thankfully they were. The slaughter in Omagh affected how I now view the troubles. That day dissident republicans planted a bomb in the center of Omagh. Their motivation was that they believed the Good Friday Agreement, endorsed by the overwhelming majority of the people on this island, was a sell out of republican principles. In order to make this point they decided to murder Mary Grimes 66, her 30 year old daughter Avril who was eight months pregnant with twins and her 18 month old daughter Maura along with 26 other people. It is ingrained in my mind that this act of madness was carried out not by British soldiers, the UVF LVF, UFF or UDA. It was not jack the ripper. It was in fact carried out by Irish, Catholic Republicans (of which I am). Whenever I hear lazy minded republican rhetoric I remind myself of this. It was the Omagh bomb that thought me to hate republican violence and to deteste sectarianism.

The aftermath of the Omagh bomb that killed 31 people

2 comments:

Bock the Robber said...

Bastards. Evil murdering motherfucking bastards.

Fuck them all.

Ted Leddy said...

Cheers Bock

well said.

Love your blog