Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Berlin Pictures

After I finished my previous post on the Movie "Downfall" I started to get nostalgic about the last time I was in Berlin which was for the 2006 World Cup. So I decided to root out some of the pictures I took on that trip and post them on Gubu World . I took most of these photos one morning as my mates were all recovering in the hostel after a wild night out. I had a wander around the city by myself and later went on an official tour. Below is a sample of my favourite snaps.

War Damage

It amazed me walking around Berlin how much war damage was so clearly visible, 61 years after the end of the war. The above picture shows a spot along the Spree river where an intense exchange of fire obviously occurred.

Every building or structure in Berlin that is older than 64 years is riddled with bullets

Berlin's Victory Column

On closer inspection it too is bullet ridden

Interesting Snaps

A view from the top of the victory column, taken as German fans watch a world cup match below

A Soviet Tank

Above is a monument erected in Bebelplatz Square where during the 1930s, Jewish books were burned in Nazi rallies.

A view of the Brandenburg Gate, taken from the roof of the Reichstag

The Reichstag roof, between the two pillars is where the famous photo was taken of the two Soviet soldiers raising the Hammer and Sickle at the end of the battle of Berlin

Yours truly outside the famous Olympic Stadium in Berlin

The stadium, built by Hitler for the 1936 Olympics has changed little over the last 70 years

The above picture marks the spot where the Fuher bunker once was. It is barely marked in a banal apartment complex car park

Berlin's Holocaust memorial

And now for my Israeli friends, While at the Iran V Angola match I took this interesting snap of a particular fan in the Angolan section

No comments: