Tuesday, June 16, 2009

7 Confirmed Dead

The Iranian state news agency have confirmed six more deaths last night in addition to the first fatality outside the Basij station yesterday. I am hearing from some blogs that it is much higher and includes a fatality in the ancient city of Shiraz. However there appears to be a general consensus that the 6 confirmed deaths happened in the one incident when Basij militia on motorbikes opened fire on a group of demonstrators that they had cornered. I have not yet confirmed the fatalities in Isfahan university. Isfahan is the most beautiful city I have ever been to. It aches me to think of wide spread violence on the streets there but when you think of the noble cause at stake, I think its worth it. Other rumors are flying about on twitter and other sites including the frightening scenario that Arabic speaking militia are operating throughout the city. If true this could only mean that the regime have drafted in Hezbollah fighters from Lebanon to help crush the demonstrations. I do not know how bad things really are but the video clip below of a dead youth being carried by demonstrators speaks for itself.

No comments: