Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gubu World going to Bulgaria



Gubu World is flying to Sofia tomorrow for Ireland's crucial world cup soccer qualifying match against Bulgaria. I have never been to Bulgaria and I just can't wait. I know its not a good time, what with Obama's speech in Cairo today, the upcoming 65th anniversary of the D-day landings and the Iranian presidential elections all deserving of my attention but I'm just a sucker for a good Irish international soccer match. I promise however that I will post on these topics next week. In the meantime you can expect a post over the weekend from Bulgaria updating you on what myself and my companions have been getting up to. I want to get to a few war memorials and museums. I also want to visit Sofia's synagogues. A surprising historical fact is that Bulgaria is one of only two European nations (the other being Denmark) that Israel and world Jewry regularly praise for their war time role in protecting their Jewish citizens. There were in fact very few Bulgarian Jews killed during World war two.

That's it for now. I'm predicting a one nil Irish victory which would of course guarantee Ireland second place in the group and even put us in a brilliant position to top the table ahead of world champions Italy. In which case, South Africa 2010 would no longer be a dream.

No comments: