Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Burj Khalifar

Apologies again for the lack of posts. I was in the fair county of Cavan for the new year and on my return to the capital found myself with an Internet connection problem. I am currently working on a detailed post on Iran, Afghanistan and my fourth favourite war movie of all time. However the minor story which caught my attention the most in recent days was the renaming of the tallest building in the world. Yesterday saw the opening of the Burj Khalifar in Dubai. Burj Kahlifar eh, that's strange, I thought it was going to be named Burj Dubai. I posted last week here on how the Abu Dhabi bail out of Dubai was going to change the politics of the Gulf and in particular how it would affect international efforts to place tougher sanctions on Iran. The name change of the world's tallest building is the first indication of this taking place. Sheikh Khalifar is the ruler of Abu Dhabi and the overall President of the UAE. As I said in my previous post, if Abu Dhabi is going to bail out Dubai it is going to do so on its terms. Renaming Dubai's pride and joy and the tallest building in the world after the head of the Abu Dhabi family is clearly one of those terms. It is obvious now that Abu Dhabi will now have much greater control over the purse strings of Dubai than ever before. One off shoot of this will be that elements in the Iranian regime will no longer be able to keep their assets in Dubai without fear of them being frozen by international sanctions.

1 comment:

GW said...

Music to my ears. Nice post Teddy.