Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Photo of the Day

So yesterday I am sitting in the Gresham Hotel in Dublin having a pint after a rather contentions debate on the thorny issue of Israel and boycotts which I will post about at a later stage. So I am sitting in the lounge when all hell breaks lose. Jedward, yes the crazy Dublin twins who took the X Factor (or Britain's got talent or one of those disgusting shows that make me think Liam Egan sometimes has a point about liberal society) by storm enter the room and come straight in the direction of my table. One of the "stars" puts his bag on our table seconds before he gets mobbed by scores of screaming teenage girls. The chaos continues for a few minutes until security arrive to sheppard the lads to safety. Their fanatic followers then scarper down every corridor and stairwell in what I think was an attempt to find the guys bedroom. Security are then sent into a frantic search and destroy (well maybe just remove) mission to neutralise the threat. During the madness I managed to snap one picture for my Photo of the Day. I just hope Ted or John didn't think I was a fan.

6 comments:

thesystemworks said...

The Gresham? Faded glory, my friend.

Confucius said...

But you are Ted?

Ted Leddy said...

TSW

I like the hotel itself. But if you are referring to the type of guests they put up (Jedward) or the type of conferences (Israeli boycotts) they hold then you might be on to something.

Ted Leddy said...

Confucious

I am not a fan of those little rat bags !

thesystemworks said...

It is the favorite hang-out of the Jedward types, thats for sure. However, I actually stayed there once and the quality of the rooms were far closer to three-star accommodation. Very disappointing. Still, not half as bad as the Clarence.

The building itself is great, as is the Bewley's hotel building in Ballsbridge. But it is all a deception!

My favorite City Center hotel is the Merrion, and its a shame it doesn't attract the crowds the Shelbourne does (though the later's location is enviable, in fairness). I got three four-course steak dinners in the Shelbourne for free as I once found some glass in my dessert.

Ted Leddy said...

TSW

I like the Merrion too. But I think my favourite is the central hotel on excheqar street. The Reading room on the second floor is a little gem.