Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blueshirt jibe is meaningless !

Eoin O'Duffy inspects his blueshirts.

"You're not voting for those blueshirts are ya". That's what some people say when I tell them I'm voting Fine Gael in the upcoming election. So I looked into it. Yes, 60 years before I was born, and before the Fine Gael party even existed, some of its founders flirted with, and then rejected fascism. If anyone out there thinks that this is a valid reason to not vote for Fine Gael on February 25th they are living in a strange place. In fact I think historically it reflects positively on Fine Gael's legacy. After all I think most people would reflect sympathetically on someone who lets say, joined the Nazi Party in 1933, and left it in 1934 on coming to their senses that the Nazi agenda was entirely sinister. And the Blueshirts never came close to matching the depravity of the Nazis, either in terms of actions or ideology. In addition, during the second world war the only mainstream Irish politician who opposed neutrality and lobbied for Ireland's entry into the war on the allied side was Fine Gael shadow minister and future leader of the party, James Dillion. To continue to associate Fine Gael with a facist legacy is lazy minded at best.

4 comments:

thesystemworks said...

This needed to be said. The former Blueshirt movement was only a small part of the Coalition that came together to form Fine Gael, which included Cumann na nGaedheal and the National Center Party.

thesystemworks said...

By the way, sorry about your Blogger troubles.

I started a blog today, but I'm using WordPress as I've just heard a lot of bad things about Blogger.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting Ted, I often use the term, (despite maybe being even a blueshirt voter this time round!) whilst not knowing its meaning. Thanks for putting me straight.

eoghan

Juan Morante said...

My grandfather died in Spanish Civil War because this bastard's bullets...