Thursday, July 21, 2011

Photo of the Day

I have been away for work reasons for about a week. I have been in Kildare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Clare, Galway, Roscommon, Leitrim, Mayo, Longford, Westmeath and Cavan, all in that order I believe. I took some interesting photos along the way. Like this one of Marcoom Castle. I don't know much about the Castle only that according to a recent book I read, it was the headquarters of the hated Essex regiment during the Irish War of Independence.



This ancient Castle dominates the West Cork town of Macroom. During the 1919-21 conflict the Auxillary division and the First Batallion of the Essex regiment were based in the castle. The latter was commanded by Major Artur Percival. You can almost see his gaunt face peeking out the window in this photo. Percivial would become a world famous name in 1942 when as commander of British forces in Singapore, he would surrender to the Japanese along with 80,000 of his troops. I wonder, if Percival could not keep the IRA out of West Cork, why did the British think he could keep the Japanese off the Malayan penninsula.

No comments: