Tuesday, July 12, 2011

South Sudan, a reason for cautious optimism !

Lots more to come on this in the near future as I intend to follow the progress of the worlds newest nation, South Sudan, very closely. It's independence is great thing for its people who have been fighting against the tyranny of the Arab authorities in Khartoum for nearly 200 years. However optimism has to be cautious. We often comment on what a tough neighbourhood Israel lives in well the Southern Sudanese state is in my view, in a tougher one. They have their genocidal neighbour in the north to contend lead by the wanted war criminal Omar Al Bashir. And at the southern border, South Sudan neighbours with lawless northern Uganda, were Joseph Kony and his Notorious Lords Resistance Army (probably the worlds most violent terrorist organisation) still control the jungles and the Democratic Republic of Congo, a hellish place where millions (literally) have been butchered in tribal warfare during the last 15 years. It is not an easy place to be starting a new country. It's economic viability is also in question as the agreements between north and south over distribution of oil revenues has not yet been finalised. It is a fascinating situation which I intend to cover in detail.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I'm glad the north has finally rid itself of the burdensome south. It can now redirect it's resources to help the Muslims instead of proping up a rebellious south. Let nature take its course I say, with things the way the are the north will simply regain the land in time :)

The System Works said...

Its always heartening to see a people have achieve self-determination and greater dignity.

Anonymous said...

Dignity??? the southerners worship animals!!!! And some go as far as saying God has a son. Good bloody riddence to the deviants I say.

The System Works said...

My distaste for heathen practice is as strong as yours, sir. But I have no interest in crusading around the globe trying to mould societies in my image by force. Recipe for futile exhaustion.

Ted Leddy said...

Anonymous

"the north will simply regain the land in time". I understand that regaining "lost" Muslim land is the highest priority of all Islamic fundamentalists. South Sudan is now just another such land in a long list of territories that Muslim fanatics want back. These range from Israel to Spain, all of south west Europe and ultimately any city vilage or town anywhere in the world where there is a significant Muslim presence.

Ted Leddy said...

TSW

Heartening indeed !

Anonymous said...

I think of myself as more of a pragmatic pessimist than a cautious optimist. And I don't have a tendency to dwell on the negative, so I'm reasonably happy, and then when things DON'T go bad I'm so pleased!
So I'll expect not a great deal from Southern Sudan, and Egypt, et al, and I will hope for the best.
Jenny

Rob Harris said...

Should be interesting analysis from Ted. I wonder would the establishment of Southern Sudan have any negative impact on Darfur which is located in Western sudan. I mention it as I thought it could stir up nationalistic Arab sentiment even more, and the peace process in Darfur has pretty much collapsed it seems.

Anonymous said...

I'd question the word fanatic Ted, but yes - lost land is an islamic right and we will regain by promise all that we have lost. This is true of Palestine and will be so for each land that we have lost due to weakness and sin. The ummah's slumber cannot and will not last forever and when it awakes ... well enough said!!!

Gary said...

"The ummah's slumber cannot and will not last forever and when it awakes ... well enough said!!!"
Oh no, nothing fanatical about that -sounds very reasonable and tolerant,,,, give me a frigging break....

Anonymous said...

It's a kind of do on to others attitude Gary, expect what you have dished out in every Muslim land.

Gary said...

"It's a kind of do on to others attitude"

When you use a phrase like that to somehow justify the use of terrorism, suicide bombing and the mass killing of innocent men, women and children in an attempt to intimidate and force religious doctrine on those who believe differently you have lost any moral authority or claim to civilized behavior.

Anonymous said...

resistence to western imperialism is moral authority Gary. I know in the back of your warped mind you believe Muslims should somehow capitulate and accept their lot as cannon fodder. It is the west that has lost all semblance of morality!

Gary said...

Thank you, Mr. Anonymous, for so clearly making my point about fanaticism.