Monday, July 9, 2012

My Mad Month

That's me on the left, looking a bit tired and emotional before the Italy V Ireland Match in Gdansk on June 18th.

Hello everyone. Apologies for my longest hiatus to date. I have had quite an eventful month. On the 10th of June I traveled to Malaga Spain to attend the wedding of a good friend of mine. After four days partying hard I flew from Malaga to Gdansk via Berlin for Ireland's second match of the European Championships. I had an amazing time in the Northern Polish city famed for its ship building and its association with the 1980's solidarity movement led by Lech Walesa. Unfortunately the result against Spain was catasprohic as ireland went down Four nil against the world Champions. From Gdansk we drove in our camper van to Poznan in Western Poland. I have many interesting photos from Poznan which I will share with Gubu World readers in the very near future. Anyway results didn't get much better in Poznan as Ireland went down 2:0 to the Italians ending our involvement in the tournament. I take some comfort from the fact that Spain and Italy would eventually become the two finalists but seeing Ireland concede six goals and score none was not easy. After Poznan I took a train to Krackow for my flight home to Dublin. I considered visiting Auswhich concentration camp whist in Krackow but decided against it because of my hungover and dichevelled state. I honestly felt that I just wasnt't mentally prepared for it. I arrived home in Dublin later that day but I had little time to recover as a couple of days later I had to drive down to Cork, to catch a flight to Bordeaux for my sisters wedding. The wedding was like a fairytale. We had a Chateaux all to ourselves for a week in what I think is the most beautiful part of France. But as you can imagine, after two foreign weddings with hard partying family and friends and a trip to Poland with 20,000 Irish football fans I am feeling a little bit tender. Before my trip to Spain I had been working on designing my own blog after finally loseing patience with blogger which seems to have cracked up altogether. Posting videos has become impossible. Finalising my new blog may take another week. But I just want to assure everyone that I have not in any way lost the appetite for blogging. Expect much more to come.


4 comments:

The System Works said...

Huzzah! Ted is back.

Funnily enough, I was just reading an article about Catholic countries and soccer: http://takimag.com/article/the_holy_roman_church_of_football_nicholas_farrell#axzz20EKwU2ka

Anonymous said...

lookin forward to some tedthoughts

Ted Leddy said...

TSW

Thanks John. I just read that link. very interesting. I used to argue that during the boom years Ireland had become more of a Protestant country. Not Protestant enough it would seem. And the Catholic thing hasn't even rubbed off on our soccer team.

The System Works said...

Ted: I think Weber had some good insights, but with this soccer thing it may just be down to the better weather for soccer games in Southern Europe.